.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Art Quilts at the Sedgwick {Blog}

Monday, July 31, 2006

Quilters' Save Our Stories
Interview with Pam RuBert



The Alliance for American Quilts
Q.S.O.S.
Tape Number: AQATS19119-032

To see a full listing, click here

Interviewee:Pam RuBert
Interviewer:Melva Hightower
Project Name:Art Quilts at the Sedgwick QSOS
Location:between Springfield, Missouri and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Date:
2006-05-24

Here's a snippet of the interview:


I've always been an artist and worked in various media including paint and ceramics and illustration but have also always been interested in fabric. I made some large textile sculptures and some art furniture but when I first saw art quilts I was very surprised and excited. It took me several years to learn some techniques, experiment and build up a collection of fabric and a studio to create quilts in but I wasn't sure what I wanted to create, what I wanted to ‘say’ with art quilts. Then one day I had a revelation—I could make cartoons that I've always drawn (even when I try to draw realistically, it usually comes out cartoonish) with fabric.



Click the tape number to read the entire interview.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home